Motorhome DIY Disaster

Oh.  My.  Gosh..

It literally took me 1400 years to get this job done.

After a few back and forths with Cummins, finding my Engine Serial Number (ESN), and getting the part sent to a local distributor, I thought this job would be a breeze.  

"Unscrew the old one," they said.
"Bolt on the new one," they said.

Whoever "they" are, they underestimated my ability to make a small job turn into a huge job.  

I somehow managed to crossthread the bolt in the belt tensioner bracket when I was trying to get the new one on.  Which ruined the bolt and also the hole.  

But hey, not to worry!  The bracket just has a couple of hex bolts that will surely come right out and I can just replace the bracket with a shiny new one.

More back and forth with Cummins and another part ordered and picked up..

Alas, the bracket had other plans...

No matter how much I wrenched on it and used my little impact driver, the screws wouldn't budge.  At all.  Even PB Blaster couldn't save the day, as it had so many times before.

During all of this I did notice that there was another hole on the existing bracket.  So I reached out again to my mechanic friends and their consensus was that if the belt didn't have any slack when installed, the second hole should be fine.

So that's just what I did and bam, job done in less than 5 minutes.

 

Mathew Allen

I teach new catastrophe adjusters how to get started in the business.  I also build my own websites and sites for friends (who sometimes pay me).  In addition, I film and produce personal adventure videos for hunting and fishing clients.